Centuries ago, argan oil was a secret treasure, kept by the natives of the argan forest in Morocco. Argan oil has evolved from a tribal tradition to one of the most popular – and precious – oils in the world. Since it was introduced in western societies, the hair growth industry has been promoting its virtues as magical. Truth or myth? Let’s dive into the best natural and vegan argan oils for hair growth!
Argan Oil’s Ingredients & Benefits
Argan oil’s hair benefits have been known for ages. They are numerous: skin repair and moisturizer, protective, anti-aging, cuticle treatment,… just to name a few. Argan oil is edible and can be used as a regular culinary oil! It would even help diabetes by dropping insuline levels.
When it comes to hair growth, argan oil is a unique all-in-one solution. Packed with antioxidants, it contains active nutrients such as vitamin E and fatty acids. Vitamin E helps strengthen and repair damaged cellular membranes of the hair while preventing breakage and splitting. Each fatty-acid has a specific role in hair growth and health. All of them combined is your best ally in your hair growth ambitions.
Using 100% pure argan oil for hair growth can be pricey, but definitely worth the money, as you won’t need to add any ingredient! It is so rich in nutrients that you can use it on its own. Let’s discover argan oil hair benefits!
Oleic Acid (about 42.8%)
- Promotes growth of thicker, stronger hair
- Preserves the radiance and softness of the hair
- Supports hair growth by eliminating dandruff
Palmitic Acid (about 12%)
- Softens the hair without a greasy or sticky feeling
Linoleic Acid (about 36.8%)
- Moisturizes hair and promote water retention (stimulate hair growth)
Stearic Acid (about 6%)
- Protects hair from damage
- Remarkable cleansing properties that clear up dirt, sweat, and sebum from hair
There is no serious research available on argan oil specifically for hair loss, but its benefits for hair and scalp may indirectly prevent hair loss. Vitamin E also supports a healthy scalp thanks to its antioxidant properties, and could fight hair loss. Finally, there is no evidence that argan oil can help re-grow hair, yet, using argan oil to get a healthy scalp can be the starting point to promote re-growth!
100% Pure, Natural & Vegan Argan Oils for Hair Growth
Argan oil is now present in a lot of hair care products. From shampoo creams and bars, conditioners, hair masks,… It’s not easy to sort out the good from the bad. And because some hair products contain (sometimes a small quantity of) argan oil, cosmetic companies brand them as natural hair products. More than often, those argan-oil-based products contain harmful chemicals which could be dangerous both for your hair and your overall health.
When shopping argan oil, always go for 100% pure, natural, cruelty-free and organic argan oil.
How to Use Argan Oil on Hair?
Unlike other oils, argan oil does not make the hair greasy. You can use it as a hair conditioner, a hair mask or a leave-in treatment. Here is how:
- Apply a 8 to 10 drops of argan oil preferably onto damp or dry hair, and directly on the scalp. Adjust the amount depending on your hair’s length.
- Gently massage into the hair and scalp for 10 minutes to make the oil slowly penetrate. Make sure that all your hair are soaked, from the root (i.e. your scalp) to the tip!
- Use a hair wrap or a towel to wrap your hair and leave it on for the whole night
- Wash your hair in the next morning just like you would normally do!
Pure argan oil is safe for all hair types (e.g. colored, dry and damaged, as well as oily hair). You could even repeat this process several times a day if you want! And when you’re done using it on your hair, it’s time to try it on your skin or in your salads 😛
- Argan oil numerous benefits on the whole body have been known for ages
- Argan oil is food for hair: its vitamin E combined with fatty acids offer a complete solution for maintaining your scalp healthy and your hair thick
- Argan oil can be effective to prevent hair thinning / loss by promoting healthy scalp
- Everything above is true only if the oil is 100% pure and natural
- Argan oil is not magic, and is not proven to cure female / male baldness